Alaska Mining District Reports (BLM)
Prince William Sound
Map: Gold Districts of California http://www.westernmininghistory.com/articles/206/page1/
BY COUNTIES OF CALIFORNIA
Amador County California Gold Amador County was the most productive of “The Mother Lode” counties. This county produced approximately 6,500,000 ounces of placer gold and 7,700,000 ounces of lode gold. Mining continues today.
Old Eureka Mine had the deepest shaft in America at 1,3500 feet deep and it was the largest producer in the mother lode in the early days.
Kennedy Mine, Argonaut Mine and Keystone Mines were also large gold mines in the same area
BIG INDIAN CREEK: Sizable dredging and drift operations between 1850 – 1950 produced about 100,000 ounces of placer gold
Fiddletown along Indian Gulch which goes into Big Indian Creek. Big Indian Creek is said to contain placer gold in large quantities. Around the Plymouth area is said to be rich.
COSUMNES RIVER : Close to the town of Plymouth, in the west central part of the county there were many placer operations that produced tens of thousands of ounces of placer gold.
Loafer Hill mine
JACKSON CREEK: Near the town of Jackson
Gwin Mine, it produced lode gold in masses of crystallized arsenopyrite.
NORTH FORK OF THE MOKELUMNE RIVER: Hydraulic operations were located on this river that produced considerable placer gold. Near Volcano in the west central part of the county around Jackson Gulch and Ranchero Gulch there were some very rich placer deposits.
SOUTH FORK OF THE MOKELUMNE RIVER: Hydraulic operations were located on this river that produced considerable placer gold.
Butte County California Gold had a production of 3,200,000 ounces of placer gold and 104,000 ounces of lode gold
HAMILTON Gold was first discovered in Butte County California by John Bidwell in the now ghost town known as Hamilton in 1848, and that made Hamilton the first county seat of Butte County. John Bidwell was a local and national figure of that time and the founder of Chico, California and several other towns. He has an outstanding resume as he was among many things, a Brigadier General, served in the California Senate, a Freemason who later left and called the organization “pointless”, and even ran for the election of the presidency of the United States; just to name a few.
OROVILLE aka Ophir City
Magalia was a mining camp known as Butte Mills. It was also called Dogtown at one time, according to historical maps
Willard claim, a hydraulic mine in the Feather River Canyon ( 54 Pound “Dogtown” Gold Nugget)
Butte Creek and Little Butte Creek where in 1932 – 1959 15,976 ounces of placer gold was reported to have found.
Perschbaker Mine, found on Little Butte Creek was a major producer of lode gold. The tertiary gravel deposits of Little Butte Creek also have placer gold.
Thompson’s Flat was one of those known locations that had access to gold.
Cherokee Flat had placer gold operations
Yankee Hill district located at 21N range 4E and 5E, had a total production of 5,154 ounces of placer gold and 34,427 ounces of lode gold.
Surcease Mine in township 21N range 4E was a good producer of lode gold.
Calaveras County California Gold After placer gold was discovered in 1849, rich lode veins were opened in 1850 above the placer workings. Placer gold production is estimated at 2,415,000 ounces and lode gold at 2,045,700 ounces
CALAVERAS RIVER The Calaveras River channel and all tributaries contain rich placers
Table Mountain area placers were also very rich
Jenny Lind District Located at township 3N and Range 10E, along the Calaveras River large scale dredge and drag-line operations, with and estimated production of over 1,000,000 ounces of placer gold.
Camanche district had a total production estimated at 1,000,000 ounces, along the Mokelumne River there were huge, bucket type dredge operations with rich placer gold
Campo Seco district located at township 4N and 5N and range 10E, in northwest part of county had a total production around 70,000 ounces
Pern Mine, it was primarily a copper mine with a rich by product of gold
Mokelumne Hill district located at township 5N range 11E
Eclipse Mine, Infernal Mine, and other mines that were large producers of lode gold.
Angeles Camp had many area mines
Keystone Mine, Lancha Plana Mine, and Union Mine were gold mines with a by product of copper
Utica Mine and Gold Cliff Mine were major producers of lode gold
Melones district contained over 800 lode mines
Carson Hill was the most productive area and contained many mines with rich lode gold deposits
Sheep Ranch Mine was a huge producer of lode gold
Royal Mine was also a large producer of lode gold, with over 10,000 ounces of production
Del Norte County California Gold The Klamath River stretches from Oregon into Siskiyou County and into Del Norte County is known for some placer gold along the path of the river and in the river itself.
Smith River also has placer gold deposits
Coon Creek, which has been another dredging operation in the past, and gold is found in the cemented gravels of the creek and gravel bars
South Fork of the Smith River and tributaries
Nels Christensen Mine
Bartlett Mine is located, which was a quartz vein mine
Crescent City Mine, which was also a quartz lode mine
Last Chance Mine was a major producer of gold in the past
Low Divide District, which was a primary location for copper deposits, but there are some placer gold
Upper Monkey Creek there was a lode deposit
Hard Luck Mine, which also produced arsenic
Monumental Group of mines were major producers of vein gold
Myrtle Creek Mine in the past large dredging operations took place
Prudential Mine which is found at Shelly Creek
Craigs Creek, placer gold has been recovered, along with platinum
French Hill is a producer of placer gold deposits
California has been known for the gold rush which started in 1848 when John Sutter found gold at his timber mill on the American River. The gold rush resulted to massive growth of the mining industry around California and as it became more prominent, the exploration expanded across counties using methods like hydraulic and drift mining. One of the most prominent counties is the El Dorado County were several gold mining companies were created.
Black Gold Mine was a placer gold, drift mine in Pleasant Valley. It was active in 1930-31 and 1936.
Dalmatia (Kelly) Mine, a large lode gold mine. It was operated in the 1880’s, 1890-94 and again in 1935.
The Eagle King mine was a lode gold mine located one-half further north of Grizzly Flat. The mine was active from 1894-1896.
Fort Yuma was the name of a lode gold mine on Big Canyon Creek, two miles northeast of Brandon Corner (east of Latrobe). It was active from 1890-1902 and again in 1938.
The Funny Bug (Pendelco) Mine was a lode gold mine located one mile southwest of GoldHill, on the north bank of Weber Creek. It was active from 1928 to 1942.
The Gambling (also known as Gamblin) Mine was a lode gold mine located two miles southwest of Fair Play. It was active in 1915-18 and 1933-34.
One of the larger lode gold mines was the Griffith Consolidated it was composed of eight claims and located one-half mile south of Diamond Springs. Originally worked in the 1850’s, it was actively worked from 1888-90, in 1896 and 1903.
One of the large lode gold mines which just recently closed was the Hazel Creek Mine, located fifteen miles east of Placerville and two miles southeast of Pacific House on Hazel Creek. Mining started in 1948 till around 1956.
The Hoosier Gulch Dredge was a placer gold mining operation by the Hoosier Gulch Placers Company, using a dragline dredge in Logtown Ravine (south of the town site of El Dorado) in 1939 and near Shingle Springs in 1945 and 1947.
The Idlewild or Taylor Mine was a large, lode gold mine on the Mother Lode two miles northwest of Garden Valley. Originally worked in 1865, it was active again from the late 1880’s to about 1902. Some additional work was done at the mine during the years 1939-41.
The Jones (Good Luck) Mine was a lode gold mine two miles south of Diamond Springs. It was active in 1915 and during 1922-23.
The Joseph Skinner (Fisk, Porphyry) Mine was a seam gold mine on the Mother Lode, one mile north of Placerville. It was active 1896-98, 1901-03 and around 1932.
The Kumfa or Kum Fa Mine was a placer gold drift mine at Smith’s Flat (Smithflat). It was active from 1911-13 and also in 1928 and 1936.
Five miles south of Shingle Springs was a lode gold mine known as the Log Cabin (Darrow) Mine. It was active in 1894-96.
The Lookout Mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode, some three miles southwest of El Dorado. It was intermittently active from 1860 through the 1930’s.
The Maple Leaf (Blakely) Mine was a placer gold mine located two miles west of Camino near Five Mile House. Originally active in the 1880’s, it was reopened from 1932 to 1935.
One mile east of Greenwood was the Ohio (Eagle) Mine, a lode gold mine it was active in 1894-96.
The One Spot (Sailor Jack) Mine was a placer gold, drift mine one mile south of Camino. It was active in the “early days of gold rush”, and reactivated in 1934-38.
Three miles south of the town site of El Dorado was another lode gold mine, the Red Wing (Red Top) Mine. It was first active from 1914 to 1922 and again in 1926.
Three miles southeast of Placerville, at Texas Hill, was a placer gold, drift mine known as the Rising Hope Mine. It was active from 1910 to 1920 and again in 1929.
One mile north of Georgetown, in the Georgia Slide area, was a placer gold mine known as the Sailor Slide Mine. It was active from 1919 to 1922.
One mile north of Greenwood was a seam gold mine known as the Sam Martin Mine. It was active in 1894-96.
The Santa Rosa Mine was a placer gold; drift mine on Hopkins Creek, one mile east of Volcanoville. It was operating during the years 1894 through 1896.
One mile north of Placerville was the Sherman Mine, a lode gold mine. It was active in 1905 and 1908-11.
Three miles northwest of Slate Mountain (southeast of Georgetown) was the Slate Mountain Mine, a lode gold mine. It was active from 1921 to 1941 and again in 1951.
The St. Lawrence Mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode, one and one-half miles southeast of Garden Valley. It operated from 1867 to 1878
The Starlight Mine was a lode gold mine on Logtown Ridge, two and one-half miles south of the town site of El Dorado. It was active from 1890 to 1894.
Two miles southeast of Placerville, between Chili Ravine and Weber Creek, was a placer gold, drift mine known as the Stewart Mine. It was active in the 1880’s and early 1890’s.
The Taylor Mine, also known as the Idlewild Mine, was a large, lode gold mine on two miles northwest of Garden Valley (one publication says four miles). Originally worked in 1865, it was active again from the late 1880’s to about 1902. Some additional work was done at the mine during the years 1939-41.
One mile south of Rattlesnake Bridge, immediately east of the Zantgraf Mine, was the Threlkel (Winton) Mine, a lode gold mine. It was active in 1924-26 and again in 1937.
At Smith’s Flat, east of Placerville, was a placer gold, drift mine known both as the Toll House and Hook and Ladder Mine. It was originally active prior to 1890, in the 1890’s and from 1918 until 1932.
The Victoria Mine was a lode gold mine four miles northwest of the town of Rescue, near the Boulder Mine. It was active in 1924-26.
The Welch Mine was a lode gold mine one-half mile northeast of the town of Greenwood. It was active from 1894 through 1896.
The Wiedebush Mine was a lode gold mine located two miles south of Volcanoville. It was active during the years 1920 through 1926.
The Zantgraf (Montauk Consolidated, Zentgraf) Mine was a lode gold mine located one mile south of Rattlesnake Bridge on the east side of the American River, six miles southwest of Pilot Hill. This mine was first worked in 1880 and by the year 1888, it was in full operation and since 1938, the mine has effectively been idle.
SAN JOAQUIN RIVER California gold can be found in the placer gravels along the San Joaquin River and produced 121,000 ounces between 1880 and 1959, when it was part of Madera County
Klamath River Klamath River has placer gold found along it’s entire stretch, and is well known for abundant nuggets and flakes
Orleans Bar is an area where many hydraulic operations were performed in the past
The Trinity River is the longest tributary of the Klamath River and is a very good gold producing river
Coffee Creek, New River, Indian Creek, Willow Creek, Hayford Creek and the East Fork are Gold producing tributaries of the the Trinity River
Red Cap Mine located on Red Cap Creek just north of Eureka
Bonneyville Quartz Mine
Little Klondike Mine
Big Bar Annex Placer Mine, Croton Bar, Cavanaugh Mine, China Flat Placer Mine (found in Trinity River Area), Bissel Mine (also known as Clover Flat), Coleman Placer Mine, Delaney Group of Mines, Harveston Bar Mine, and the Prospect Hill Mine.
Imperial County California Gold A minimum estimate of 235,000 ounces of lode and placer gold have come from this county
Cargo Muchacho District it had many old mines worked since Mexican times with a total production about 193,000 ounces. Gold can be found in all regional arroyo bottoms, benches, terraces. This is dry wash placers with abundant gold. There are many abandoned area lode mines that produced gold. Most of the gold is fine, grain, wire, nuggets, often with copper.
Paymaster district Picacho Mine, Bluejacket Mine, and others produced some lode gold
Tumco was also a good producer from several area mines.
Inyo County California Gold Inyo County produced 496,000 ounces of gold between 1880 and 1959, primarily from lode mines scattered throughout the county, with a considerable percentage as byproduct from lead, silver, copper, and tungsten ores.
Russ District In the Inyo Mountain Range, the Russ district opened in 1861) had many area mines that produced lode gold
South Park District and Sherman District
Ballarat, in the South Park District, in the south-central part of county there was a total production of over 100,000 ounces
The Ratcliff Mine, was a chief producer of lode gold
Sherman district ( township 23S. range 42E and 43E) had a total production, 1939-41, of 14,184 ounces of lode gold.
Arondo Mine was a rich producer of free gold
Ruth Mine was also a rich producer of free gold, with pyrite.
Willshire-Bishop Creek District (West of Bishop by 17 miles) had a total production, 75,000-100,000 ounces of by product gold, from lead, silver mines
Bishop creek Mine and, at head of Bishop Creek and the Willshire Mine were large lode gold producers
Pine creek Mine was once the largest domestic tungsten mine also had a by product of gold
The Cardinal Gold Mining Company Mine only produced lode gold.
Chloride Cliff District (At Death Valley National Monument on slope of the Funeral Range) total production of 60,000 ounces
Keane Wonder Mine which is now in ruins, but once a large lode gold producer
Union district, that had a total production,1860s-1959, between 10,000 and 50,000 ounces of lode gold (East of Lone Pine in the Inyo Mountains)
The Reward and Brown Monster mines, were major producers of lode gold
In area canyon and gulch gravels, slopes and drainage channels, placers gold can still be found.
Resting Springs District ( total production through 1959 of 15,000 ounces of lode gold from lead, silver ores, from the Shoshone Group of mines)
Wild Rose District ( in the Panamint Mountains) total production of about 73,000 ounces of lode gold from the Skidoo Mine.
Kern County California Gold A total of 1,777,000 ounces of gold came from Kern County between 1851 and 1959.
Amalie District located between south summit of the Piute Mountains and Caliente Creek in township 30S. range 33E and 34E, it had a total production of 30,000 ounces of lode gold
Amalie Mine was a major producer
Green Mountain District west slope of the Piute Mountains and edge of Kelsey Valley on east side of mountains
Bright Star Mine, which had production around, 34,000 ounces of lode gold
Joe Walker Mine which produced about 100,000 ounces of lode gold ( 7 miles northwest of Piute, in township 29S and range 33E)
Cove District In Kernville, located in township 25S. range 33E, total production, 262,800 ounces
Big Blue Mine It produced free gold, associated with arsenopyrite.
Keyes District West in township 26S. range 32E and 33E total production, 39,600 ounces through 1959
Rosamond-Mohave District (township 10N and 11N and range 11W, 12W, and 13W) total production, 278,250 ounces of gold plus silver
Pine Tree Mine (in township 11N and range 15W) produced 75,000 ounces of lode gold
Tropico Mine, it was a major producer into 1950s
northeast 25 miles in the El Paso Mountains, all regional gravels contain placer gold,
Cudahy Camp, Owens Camp, Burro Schmidt’s Tunnel, Colorado Camp, etc. all were rich in lode gold.
Rand District lies along the Kern County, San Bernardino County line, produced nearly all of the 836,300 ounces of gold is from the Kern County half, with silver as a by product
The Yellow Aster Mine was the largest producer, and many other area mines produced lode gold
Goler Gulch, the placer deposits were worked 1893-94
Goler Wash or Gulch
St. Johns Mine, which was a rich lode gold producer. (township 28S. range 35E)
Hayden Hill District in township 36N and 37N. range 10E and 11E 116,000 ounces were recorded from 1870 onward. Mining came to a slow in 1910 when the town of Hayden Hill burned to the ground. According to early mining reports the quartz vein system was never more than 300 ft deep and is part of a vein system that extended to Happy Camp
Blue Bell Mine, Brush Hill Mine, Uncle Billy Mine, North Star Mine, Golden Eagle Mine and the Evening Star Mine
Willow Creek there was a 5 stamp mill
Diamond Mountain Mine is located 7 miles south of Susanville ( T. 29 N., Rs. 11 and 12 E)
Gold Belt Mine
Los Angeles County California Gold Gold placers were worked in Los Angeles County between 1834 and 1838 by Mexican and Spanish miners, and by 1858 more than 6,000 miners were working placer deposits 35 miles northwest of the Los Angeles city hall. Most of the county’s total production of gold through 1959 was 1,109,200 ounces which came from lode deposits, but small yields of placer gold are garnered every year by amateur gold hunters from many places, especially from sand and gravel pits and from the streams of the San Gabriel Mountains above Azusa.
Mt. Gleason District & Cedar District Governor Mine, which had a total production of at least 50,000 ounces of lode gold.
San Gabriel District Azusa, which is located in the San Gabriel district which had a total production, 1848-1957, of about 165,000 ounces of gold.
San Gabriel range gravels, worked 1848-80 for estimated 120,000 ounces of placer gold
Eldoradoville which was a gold camp of early 1860s
Antelope Valley District Gold was discovered in 1934 in the Antelope Valley district. It had a total production through 1946 of 9,700 ounces.
River Mining Company Claims are the most productive for placer and lode gold.
Pacoima Canyon, the headwater and area gravels and slopewash deposits contain placer gold.
Denver Mining and Milling Property which was a rich lode gold producer.
Modoc County California Gold In Modoc County, near the Oregon border there are several small gold mines that overlap into Oregon’s Lake County, near Fairport, California. You might try the surrounding streams for placer deposits and Modoc County Gold.
Placer County California Gold It is where it all began in 1848. The gold strike at John Sutter’s timber mill on the American River brought thousands of Americans out west and many Chinese from the orient for adventure and for riches. Three years after the initial gold strike Placer County was formed from parts of Sutter and Yuma Counties. So much gold was taken from this county that there is no way it can be measured
Auburn district also known as the Ophir district There are placer deposits all along the stretches of the American River. Hard-rock mines in the area produced an overwhelming amount of gold in this district, producing over a million and a half ounces of gold
Iowa Hill District (East of Auburn on HWY 80, is Colfax)
Morning Star mine was a major producer
Dutch Flat / Gold Run District northern boundary lines of Placer County on the system of Tertiary channel deposits that extends south from Nevada County. Placer mining began in 1849, and by 1857 hydraulic and drift mines were producing on a fairly large scale. Though early records are almost nonexistent, it was estimated that the district produced about 479,000 ounces of gold to 1935
Dutch Flat is one the better preserved mining areas
Emigrant Gap district The gold is found in quartz veins, occurring in slate and schist.
Duncan Peak District south side of Duncan Peak in the gravels to find rich diggings. There are deposits that can be found in Duncan Canyon.
Damascus District located south of Monte Vista just off of HWY 80 Placer gold can be found in streams and channels
Foresthill District The total gold production of the district through 1959 was about 300,000 ounces complex system of Tertiary channels capped by lavas. The gravels have been extensively worked by drift mines which reached their peak of productivity in the 1860’s
. Independence, New Jersey, and Jenny Lind mines produced $2,400,000 in gold. Estimates of production of individual mines given give a minimum total for the district of about 338,000 ounces of gold. In recent years, the district has been virtually dormant. Total gold production through 1959 was about 344,000 ounces.
Michigan Bluff District southern Placer County, about 5 miles east of Foresthill
From 1853 to 1880 considerable hydraulic and drift mining was done in the Tertiary channel gravels that underlie the eastern part of Foresthill Divide at Michigan Bluff. An area of 40 acres yielded $5 million in gold
Big Gun mine with an output of about $1 million to 1882 was the largest individual producer of the hydraulic mines
Hidden Treasure mine was the most productive of all the drift mines in the Tertiary gravels in the State, with a total of about $4 million in gold
Pioneer, with $900,000 in gold
Rawhide, with $300,000
Plumas County California Gold Nelson Creek, Poorman’s Creek, Hopkins Creek, Onion Valley, Rich Bar, and Butte Bar. All provided rich diggings. Equally rewarding was a series of five mining bars on the East Branch of the North Fork of the Feather River: Rich Bar, Indian Bar, Smith Bar, French Bar, and Junction Bar. A group known as the Wisconsin Company was among those seeking paydirt on Nelson Creek. Calling their site Meeker Flat after one of their members, they took out 93-pounds of precious metal in one period of three weeks.
From 1855 to approximately 1859 there was extensive hydraulic mining activity in Plumas County. About four and a half millions ounces of California Gold was recovered using this method. Some of the sites worth mentioning are Nelson Point, Sawpit Flat, Gopher Hill, and the Upper Spanish Creek mines.
Green Mountain Mine they produced of 100,000 ounces of lode gold by 1890
in east l/2 of township 22N. range 11E, they had a total production, 393,000 gold ounces
Plumas-Eureka Mine, was a major producer of lode gold
La Porte District southwest part of the county, in township 21N and range 9E, was the hydraulic mining center since 1850s, with total production, 1855-1959, of 2,910,000 gold ounces
Walker Mine, primarily copper mine with a by product of gold.
Mumfords Mill the area copper mines had a by product of gold
Feather River Along the North Fork of the Feather River, near Belden are placer deposits.
Yuba River The Ancient Yuba River channel traced northeast of La Porte for 10 miles 500 to 1,500 feet wide and 10-130 feet deep, with placer gold concentrated in lower part 2 ft. above bedrock, it is a very rich placer deposit
Indian Creek At Rich Bar, the area gravels along Indian Creek, a tributary of the Feather River, has very rich placers.
Shasta County California Gold produced well over two million ounces of gold since 1880, and an unrecorded amount from 1849 until 1879. Gold was first discovered in Shasta County California on Clear Creek in 1848 by a man by the name of P.B. Reading. Shasta County was one of the primary counties during the initial California Gold Rush, where there was a lot of gold found and is continues to be found to this day
Washington Mine, which is one of the oldest continuously operating gold mines in the United States.
Harrison Gulch, near Platina and was/is a lode mine
Old Diggings/Iron Mountain (five miles north of Redding, near Walker Mine Road)
Shasta Creek, Squaw Creek, west of Whiskeytown
Cottonwood Creek, and Rock Creek.
Flat Creek Mining District
Mad Mule Mine
Spring Creek, Mad Mule Canyon, Mad Ox Canyon, Whiskey Creek.
French Gulch District total output of the district is estimated at more than $30 million. This district lies astride the Shasta-Trinity County line in the general vicinity of the town of French Gulch and includes the Deadwood area to the west. It is the most important lode-gold district in the Klamath Mountains.
Clear Creek, which drains the area, yielded large amounts of placer gold
Washington mine, discovered in 1852, was the first quartz mine worked in Shasta County
Accident, American $300,000
Army Batch, Blue Jay, Bright Star, Brown Bear $15 million
Calmich, Centennial, El Dorado, Fairview $200,000
Gladstone $6.9 million
Henry Clay $100,000 to $300,000, Highland $300,000, Honeycomb, Jacoby, J.I.C., Larry, Mad Mule $1 million, Mad Ox $500,000, Milkmaid and Franklin $2.5 million, Montezuma 7,150+ ounces, Mt. Shasta 8,500 ounces, Niagara $1 million, Niagara Summit, Philadelphia, St. Jude $280,000+, Scorpion 7,140 ounces, Summit $200,000, Sybel $600,000, Three Sisters $100,000, Tom Green, Truscott, Venecia $500,000, Vermont and Montezuma, Washington $2.5 million.
Siskiyou County California Gold Upwards towards two million ounces of gold were taken from Siskiyou County, located at the top of the State of California. Siskiyou County has an amazing number of gold mines; some active and others none active, and still some that have long caved in. The number of gold mines in the county is upwards towards three hundred and seventy.
Klamath River one of the more note-able gold producing rivers in Siskiyou County
Placer gold deposits can be found upon the entire length of the river
Scott River The Scott River is actually a tributary of the Klamath River, and offers good gold all along it’s path. Near Callahan there were numerous gold mines and placer operations. Many of the mines near Callahan had small, but rich pocket gold discoveries
Martin McKeen Mine was a note-able producer
Porphyry Dike Mine
Blue Jay Mine, and the Copper King Mine which was a silver mine with gold as a byproduct.
Cottonwood Creek and Rancheria Creek (Fort Jones area) produced over four million dollars from 1850 to 1859 with industrial large scale dredges . Many lode mines are in the Fort Jones area
Golden Eagle Mine which was a large producer
Salmon River (major tributary of the Klamath River)
Sawyers Bar: There are two forks on the Salmon, the north fork and the south fork, between the two forks’ over a million ounces of gold was reported to have been recovered.
Yreka There are many gold mines found around Yreka
The Town of the Volcano 1870s Use click and drag with mouse to do a 180 degree view.
Klamath Mountains Province
Bully Choop District
Dillon Creek District
Dog Creek District
French Gulch District
Harrison Gulch District
Helena-East Fork District
Jelly Ferry District
Klamath River District
Old Diggings District
Oro Fino District
Salmon River District
Scott Bar District
Shasta Copper-Zinc Belt
Smith River District
Trinity River District
Basin Ranges Province
Big Pine District
Chloride Cliff District
Clover Patch District
El Paso Mountains District
Fish Springs District
High Grade District
Lees Camp-Echo Canyon District
Slate Range District
White Mountains District
Mojave Desert Province
Cargo Muchacho-Tumco District
Chocolate Mountains District
Dos Palmas District
Eagle Mountains District
Emerson Lake District
Gold Reef District
Grapevine District (Mojave)
Hackberry Mountain District
Halloran Springs District
Mule Mountains District
Old Dad District
Old Woman District
Oro Grande District
Shadow Mountains District
Twentynine Palms District
Transverse and Peninsular Ranges Provinces
Baldwin Lake District
Black Hawk District
Boulder Creek District
Deer Park District
Holcomb Valley District
Laguna Mountains District
Lytle Creek District
Mesa Grande District
Mount Baldy District
Mount Gleason District
COAST RANGES PROVINCE
Crescent City District
Island Mountain District
La Panza District
Los Burros District
Putah Creek District
Red Mountain District
San Francisco Beach District
Santa Cruz District
Silver Queen District
Sulphur Creek District
Surf-Point Sal District
Alder Creek (Mackay, White Knob) District
The Alder Creek district, also known as the Mackay or White Knob District, is in southeastern Custer County near Mackay and includes Tps. 6 and 7 N., Rs. 23 and 24 E.
Ores rich in copper and gold were discovered in this district in 1884, after the rich lead-silver discoveries at Nicholia to the northeast at the site of the district’s chief mine, the Empire (Ross, 1930a). After many failures to produce copper and after the expenditure of about $3 million, success was finally achieved in 1905 (Umpleby, 1917,), and the mine remained active through 1929. Sporadic production was also reported from 1940 through 1951. Mining resumed in 1957 and was continuing in 1959.
From 1884 to 1913 the Empire produced about $100,000 (about 5,000 ounces) in byproduct gold (Umpleby, 1917). The Empire and Horseshoe mines produced 24,710 ounces from 1912 through 1928 (Ross, 1930a), and the district produced 3,770 ounces from 1939 through 1959. Total gold production for the district through 1959 was about 33,500 ounces.
The district is underlain by folded Paleozoic sedimentary rocks, intrusive granitic and monzonitic rocks, and volcanic rocks of the Challis Volcanics. The Paleozoic rocks are mostly thick-bedded dolomitic limestone containing Mississippian fossils (Ross, 1930a). In the Empire mine area the limestone is intruded by a large mass of granitic rocks and by a swarm of porphyritic dikes that follow a broad zone of regional faulting.
Ore deposits in the district are largely of the contact-metamorphic type and are along the limestone-granite contact. Some ore bodies of the Empire deposit are in large blocks of limestone isolated well within the granite (Umpleby, 1917). The primary ores contain intergrowths of garnet and chalcopyrite and subordinate amounts of pyroxene, pyrite, and pyrrhotite. Oxidized ores, which were highly productive, contain a mixture of chrysocolla, azurite, malachite, and cuprite. Secondary copper sulfides are rare (Umpleby, 1917).
Read about the Ore Deposits and other Geology of the District: http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1252a/report.pdf
Other names: Alta, Wild horse
County: La Paz
Commodities: Gold, Silver, Copper, Tungsten, Platinum
Alto district, is located about 40 miles north of Mackay, the great Mining camp, and is easily accessible with most vehicles. This district is also known as the Alta, and Wild Horse district. A small district noted for a wide variety of minerals. The most historically notable mines in the district are the Golden Chariot, The Lost Souls Mine and the Phi Kappa. Located around the Trail Creek road that connects Ketchum with the high mountain ranges of the Salmon Range. Gold and Silver were originally noted in great abundance on milky white quartz, this then lead to copper discoveries and eventually tungsten and some small deposits of platinum.
The first deposits were discovered in this area in 1869, rich gold deposits brought a small rush to the high mountain valley. In 1885 the Alto district was formed. Mr. George Z. Edwards, a well-known mining magnate brought the most notoriety to the district. After looking for bonanzas throughout many of the camps of the intermountain west, Mr. Edwards returned home from Custer County, enthusiastic over the extensive mineral resources of this virtually unknown area. He was satisfied in the belief that he at last would secure a mining proposition that would develop into a great wealth producer. Mr. Edwards founded the Phi Kappa group of claims. A group of mines centrally located in the district, regarded as easy development because it was essentially a tunneling proposition to reach a large underground lode of copper, gold and lead. The underground ledge, which is of mammoth proportions, also had a good quality of silver-lead ore associated with copper. According to Mr. Edwards, “Phi has such splendid showings of pay ore that with minimal development will turn out to be a bonanza.” There is water and timber in abundance on the ground. Mr. Edwards stated that several other investors were looking into his claims and their merits, being attracted to this area by the many reports of its great mineral wealth. The ore of the area carries very good values in gold and silver, as well as the 4 metals (Gold, Silver, Copper, and Platinum).
Yellow Jacket district
Commodities: Gold, Silver, Copper, Lead
Lode deposits were discovered in the district in 1868, and they were worked in the early 1870′s, but their greatest production was during 1893-97. Activity throughout the district declined with the closing of the Yellow Jacket mine in 1897, and except for intermittent activity during 1911-14, in the late 1920′s, and in the 1930′s, the district never approached its pre-1900 production.
Joseph Umpleby (1913) estimated production from the Yellow Jacket mine at $450,000 (about 21,840 ounces) in gold. Ross (1934) listed a total of $121,761.56 in bullion from the Yellow Jacket mine for 1893-97. From 1902 through 1949 the district produced 3,855 ounces of gold (Anderson, 1953), and from 1949 through 1959, only 8 ounces. Gold has been the chief commodity, but small amounts of silver, copper, and lead have also been recovered. Total gold production, according to Umpleby’s estimate, was about 25,000 ounces.
The Yellow Jacket district is underlain by sedimentary, metasedimentary, and igneous rocks that were folded and faulted into a complex pattern and then mineralized (Anderson, 1953). The oldest sedimentary rocks consist of two subdivisions of the Belt Seriesâ€”the Yellow jacket Formation, which is composed of argillite and calcareous quartzite, and the Hoodoo Quartzite. In the western part of the district these are overlain by Challis Volcanics of Oligocene age. Intrusive rocks of three ages are in the district: dikelike and stocklike bodies of gabbro of Precambrian(?) age; a large body of hornblende-biotite diorite and smaller bodies of syenite, diabase, diorite, and gabbro, all of Late Cretaceous or early Tertiary age; and dikes of granophyre, granite porphyry, and vitrophyre, all of Miocene age (Anderson, 1953,). The older rocks were deformed and fractured by several diastrophic events.
Most of the lodes are either fissure fillings or replacement deposits in breccia zones. The Yellow-jacket Formation, which has been deformed most extensively, contains most of the ore deposits (Anderson, 1953, p. 18). Primary minerals in the deposits are quartz, calcite, siderite, and barite in the gangue, and the ore minerals are pyrite, specularite, chalcopyrite, tetrahedrite, galena, and gold. The ores are somewhat oxidized near the surface: much of the early production was from these free-milling oxidized ores (Anderson, 1953).
Mackinaw District The Mackinaw (Leesburg) district is about 10 miles west of Salmon, Idaho.
In 1866 gold placers were discovered at Wards Gulch along Napias Creek, and for the next 14 years these placers were worked on a large scale. The population of the town of Leesburg in the district was 7,000 during this period, but by 1911 it had dwindled to 25. Lodes were productive in this district, though on a much smaller scale than the placers. The vein deposits were first developed in 1870 but were worked for only a few years; however, the placers were worked intermittently to about 1954. The district was inactive from that date through 1959.
Umpleby estimated the value of placer production of the district at not more than $5 million and the lode output at about $250,000. Shockey listed annual production from 1902 through 1954, which totaled 7,635 ounces from placers and 1,146 ounces from lodes. Total gold production through 1959 from all sources, including the estimate of early production, was about 271,200 ounces.
The oldest rocks in the area are phyllite and quartzite of the upper (?) Belt Series of Precambrian age (Shockey, 1957). These are overlain by the Kinnikinic Quartzite of Ordovician age. Intrusive into these metasedimentary rocks are quartz monzonite apophyses of the Idaho batholith. After a long period of erosion, the rocks were buried by early Tertiary conglomerate and later by the Challis Volcanics. Parts of the Leesburg basin are underlain by Tertiary lake beds, and these sediments are overlain by late Tertiary volcanic ash deposits. Prior to Ordovician sedimentation, the Precambrian rocks were deformed, and afterward the Precambrian and Ordovician rocks were faulted and compressed into a northwest-trending synclinorium sometime before the monzonitic intrusion. During Tertiary time minor warping occurred.
The lode deposits, according to Umpleby (1913), are of five types: (1) quartz veins and stock works in quartz monzonite, containing pyrite, sphalerite, specularite, and a little galena; (2) replacement veins along fault planes in metasedimentary rocks and quartz monzonite, containing quartz and pyrite as the chief constituents; (3) replacement deposits along a shear zone in schist, containing garnet, epidote, and magnetite; (4) mineralized lenses in schist and probably monzonitic rock, possibly the source of much of the placer gold; and (5) quartz veins along biotite monzonite dikes, containing chalcopyrite, sphalerite, and subordinate pyrite and galena. All five types are of equal economic importance as lode-gold producers (Ross, 1941).
The placers were distributed along Moose Creek, Beaver Creek, and Napias Creek and its tributaries; most of the production was from the Leesburg basin, an area drained by Napias Creek. Umpleby (1913) regarded some of the placers as of Miocene and Pliocene age, but Ross (1941) was of the opinion that much of the auriferous gravel was Pleistocene or younger.
Gravel Range District (Singheiser District)
Mineralization in the district generally consists of two types; fluorspar-bearing veins, and precious metal-bearing veins. Both types occur in volcanic rocks. The Singheiser deposit consists of a 40-foot-wide, northeast trending shear zone which contains a 3 to 8-foot-thick quartz vein and numerous quartz veinlets. Shortly after 1896, a 50 ton per day mill was built to treat the ore. Development at the time of Umpleby’s visit consisted of perhaps 3,000 feet of workings (Umpleby, 1913). According to USBM production records, the mine produced significant amounts of silver, copper, and gold between 1907 and 1974. At the Rabbit Foot mine, located about 3 miles northeast of the Singheiser, a 10-stamp mill operated during the early 1900′s. Mineralization also consists of quartz lenses and stringers in shear zones in volcanic rock. According to Umpleby, development consisted of 5,000 feet of workings. The Meyers Cove fluorspar deposits gained recognition during the early 1940′s. During 1944, Chamac Mines completed a 100-ton flotation plant and a six-day test run was conducted in September. However, due to poor market conditions, actual mining did not start in earnest until 1951. During the next two years, 37,432 tons of fluorspar-bearing rock was mined from six deposits and delivered to the mill. From this tonnage, 10,979 tons of acid grade, 998 tons of ceramic grade, and 100 tons of metallurgical grade fluorspar was recovered. Most of this production came from the Big Lead deposit (Anderson, 1954, p. 10). Between 1954 and 1972, the Meyers Cove deposits were worked intermittently by the Seaforth Mining Company and an additional 25,000 to 30,000 tons of metallurgical grade ore was produced (Fisher and Johnson, 1987). Most of the fluorspar is coarsely crystalline and occurs as veins, lenses, crusts around fragments of rocks, and replacements in shear zones in Challis volcanic rocks.
Mining District Name/Number Alternative Mining District Names
AJAX Mining District – #1
ARGENTA Mining District – #2 Montana, Ermont
AUSTIN Mining District -
394 Greenhorn, Lewis and Clark
BALD MOUNTAIN Mining District – #3 Baldy Mountain
BASIN CREEK Mining District – #182
BEAVER CREEK Mining District – #131 Elk Creek, Thompson Creek
BEAVERHEAD Mining District – #5 Dark Horse, Mulchy Creek
BIG BLACKFOOT Mining District – #156 Helmville, Blackman Hill
BIG FOOT Mining District – #76 State Creek
BISMARK Mining District – #114 Bismarck, Wilmah
BLOODY DICK Mining District – #8 Beaverhead, Lemhi Pass, Bobbit
BLUE EYED NELLIE Mining District – #42 Silver lake, Warm Springs Creek,Johnson Basin, Olson Gulch
BRYANT Hecla, Glendale
BUTTE Mining District – #183Summit Valley, Lost Child, Independence, Rocker, Browns Gulch
CABINET Mining District – #107 Fish River, Fisher River, West Fisher
CATARACT Mining District – #210 Basin-Cataract, Jefferson
CEDAR CREEK Mining District – #135 Quartz Creek, Trout Creek
CHINATOWN Mining District – #11 Armstead, Colorado, Horse Prairie
CLANCY Mining District – #77Lump Gulch, Buffalo Creek
CLINTON Mining District – #142 Wallace
COLOMA Mining District – #143 Potomac
COLORADO Mining District – #78 Wickes, Corbin, Gregory, Prickley Pear Creek
COMBINATION Mining District – #59 Henderson, Black Pine
CONE BUTTE Mining District – #49 Warm Springs
CONFEDERATE GULCH Mining District – #30Backer, Canton, Diamond City
COWLES Mining District – #149 Haystack, Boulder, Independence
CREVASSE Mining District – #150 Crevice, Jardine
CURLEW Mining District – #165Deep Canyon
DENEMORA Mining District – #136Big Elk, Saltese
DILLON Mining District – #12 Carter Creek, Frying Pan
ELK PARK Mining District – #80 East Rampart Mountain
ELKHORN Mining District – #13 Coolidge, Wise River
ELKHORN Mining District – #79A Wilson-Tizier
ELKHORN Mining District – #79 Wilson-Tizier
ELLISTON Mining District – #157 Powell, Ontario, Blackman Hill
ELMO Mining District – #93Chief Cliff, Dayton Creek
EMERY Mining District – #158 Zosell
EMIGRANT Mining District – #151 Chico, Curry, Shorthill, Mill Creek
FINN Mining District – #159 Washington, Jefferson Gulch, Buffalo Gulch
GARNET Mining District – #62First Chance, Bear Creek, Bearmouth, Top o’Deep
GEORGETOWN Mining District – #44 Southern Cross, Cable
GOULD-STEMPLE Mining District – #96 Fool Hen, Poorman
HEBER Mining District – #46Mill Creek
HEDDLESTON Mining District – #97 Blackfoot, Silver
HELENA Mining District – #98Last Chance, Spring Hill, Unionville, Owyhee
HELLGATE Mining District – #32 Magpie Gulch
HIGH ORE Mining District – #73A Comet, Cataract
HIGHLAND Mining District – #187 Fish Creek
HOG HEAVEN Mining District – #52Kila, Flathead
HORSE PRAIRIE Mining District – #14 Prospect, Jeff Davis
HUGHES CREEK Mining District – #166Alta, Overwich
JARDINE-CREVASSE Mining District – #153Bear Gulch, Sheepeater
JUDITH Mining District – #92ASouth Fork of Judith River, Middle Fork of Judith River, Judith Mountain
KEYSTONE Mining District – #138 Carter, East Couer d’Alene
LIBBY Mining District – #108 Snowshoe
LINCOLN Mining District – #99 McClellan Creek, Seven-Up-Pete Gulch, Keep Cool Creek, Liverpool Creek, Stonewall Mtn.
LITTLE ROCKIES Mining District – #155Zortman, Landusky
LONE MOUNTAIN Mining District – #33 Browns Lake, Rock Creek
LOST CREEK Mining District – #16 Dry Creek, Antelope Creek
MAGPIE GULCH – 0 Hellgate
MARYSVILLE Mining District – #100Bald Butte, Ottawa
MAXVILLE Mining District – #63 Wyman, Gird Creek
MCCARTNEY MOUNTAIN Mining District – #116MaCarthy, McCarty
MCCLELLAN/MITCHELL CREEK Mining District – #84Mitchell Creek
MEDICINE LODGE Mining District – #17 Cabin Creek
MELROSE Mining District – #189 Camp Creek, Soap Gulch
MISSOURI RIVER Mining District – #101Canyon Ferry
MURRAY Mining District – #133 Battle Creek
MUSSELSHELL Mining District – #134Copperopolis
NEIHART Mining District – #41 Montana
NEW WORLD Mining District – #154 Cooke City, Blackmore
NINE MILE CREEK Mining District – #146 Kennedy Creek
NORRIS Mining District – #117 Lower Hot Springs, Upper Hot Springs
ORO FINO Mining District – #48 Dry Cottonwood, Champion
ORO FINO Mining District – #162 Deadwood
PARK Mining District – #35 Indian Creek, Hassel, Townsend
PHILIPSBURG Mining District – #65Flint Creek, Granite
PIONEER Mining District – #22Trail Creek
PIONEER Mining District – #163 Gold Creek
PIPESTONE Mining District – #87 Big Pipestone
PLEASANT VIEW Mining District – #168Sweathouse
POLARIS Mining District – #23Lost Cloud
PONY Mining District – #119 Mineral Hill
PROSPECT CREEK Mining District – #174Mountain Horse, Burns, Sarpy Creek
RACETRACK Mining District – #164 Danielsville, Twin Peaks
RADERSBURG Mining District – #36 Cedar Plain, Crow Creek
RAINY CREEK Mining District – #110Sylvanite
RED BLUFF Mining District – #117BHot Springs Creek, Lower Hot Springs
RED LION Mining District – #66 Cable Mountain, Hidden Lake, Fred Burr Lake
RENOVA Mining District – #121Bone Basin, Mayflower, Cedar Hollow
REVAIS CREEK Mining District – #175Dixon, Spring Gulch, Seepay Creek
REVENUE Mining District – #117C Upper Hot Springs
RIMINI Mining District – #103Lewis and Clark, Ten Mile, Vaughn, Colorado, Bear Gulch
ROCK CREEK Mining District – #67 Willow Creek
ROSE MOUNTAIN Mining District – #68Gold Creek
RUNNING WOLF Mining District – #91 Dry Wolf
SAGINAW Mining District – #25 Jackson, Monument
SCRATCH GRAVEL HILLS Mining District – #104Grass Valley
SARPY CREEK Mining District – #174Prospect Creek, Belknap
SHERIDAN Mining District – #125 Mill Creek, Brandon, Indian Creek, Ramshorn, Quartz Hill, Bivin Gulch, Wisconsin Gulch
SILVER BUTTE Mining District – #177Vermillion, Vermillion River, Cabinet
SMITH RIVER Mining District – #134ATenderfoot, Sheep Creek
SOUTH BOULDER Mining District – #69Princeton, Cleek, Mount Powell
SPRING GULCH Mining District – #175Revais Creek
ST.REGIS Mining District – #141Deer Creek, Ward
SYLVANITE Mining District – #110Yahk, Yaht, Yaak, Yaak River
TIDAL WAVE Mining District – #128Twin Bridges, Dry Boulder Creek, Bear Gulch, Goodrich Gulch, Dry and Wet Georgia Gulches
TROY Mining District – #112Callahan, Callahan Creek, Grouse Mountain
UTOPIA Mining District – #26Birch Creek
VIPOND Mining District – #27Quartz Hill
VIRGINIA CITY Mining District – #129Browns Gulch, Granite Creek, Williams Gulch, Barton Gulch, Summit, Pine Grove, Highland, Fairwether, Nevada, Junction, Alder Gulch
WARMSPRINGS Mining District – #51Gilt Edge, Maiden, Gold Hill
WASHINGTON Mining District – #130Meadow Creek, McAllister, Bald Mountain
WEST GALLATIN Mining District – #56Spring Hill, Bozeman, Bridger
WHITE PINE Mining District – #181Eagle, Beaver Creek
WHITEHALL Mining District – #88 Cardwell
WINSTON Mining District – #37 Beaver Creek
WISDOM Mining District – #28Big Hole, Wise River
WOLF CREEK Mining District – #105Gladstone
YORK Mining District – #106Dry Gulch
Sand Springs Marsh
White Plains Flat
Arrow Canyon Range
Alkali Spring Valley
Fish Lake Marsh
Fish Lake Valley
Silver Peak Marsh
North Battle Mountain
Spencer Hot Springs
East Pahranagat Range
Golden Gate Range
Meadow Valley Mountains
South Pahroc Range
Wilson Creek Range
Double Springs Marsh
White Rock Springs
Tobin and Sonoma Range
Clackamas County Gold
Northwest Oregon’s Lost Mining Districts
Chena Creek District: Located in Eastern Clackamas County,located due south of Mountain Air Park near the town of Welches on Highway 26. This old mining area is said to be the northern most area of the Cascades Mountain range to contain gold. During its height in the mid 1890’s, about a hundred claims were located in the area, mostly concentrated on Cheeney Creek (formerly called “Chena” Creek) and the Salmon River (reffered to in those days as a “creek”).
Northern Light Mining and Milling Company located upon Huckleberry Mountain, near the mouth of the Salmon River where it enters the Sandy River (and is probably the source of what little gold can be found in that river) Development of the Northern Light, sometimes reffered to as the Cheeney Creek Prospect, consisted of an 87 foot shaft and 400 foot foot long tunnel. The equipment was powered by water. In addition to gold, the deposit also contained silver, copper and lead.
Rock Creek District: located in Eastern Clatsop County
Gertrude claim along Rock Creek in Clatsop County, but even extended all the way to the mouth of the Nehalam River, near the town of Veronia in Columbia County
Weed Creek, a small tributary of the North Fork of Rock Creek
Some of the claims filed in the district during the early years included the “Protector”, “Defender”, “Elkhorn”, “Bonanza”, “Mountain” “Last Chance” and the “Rolling”. By 1894, the whole thing suddenly petered out. Nothing more was heard about the area and in fact, the reality that gold was ever discovered in that area was removed entirely to the old history books.
Gold Creek District: It was here along the Nehalem River in Cruiser’s Gulch, that in 1901, a man named Sebastian Glaser filed a number of lode claims about two miles from the small town of Elsie. The site of his discovery lies in 4 North, 8 West and right on the line between Sections 1 and 2.
No other records for this mining district exist.
Crook County Gold
Howard District East of Prineville, in the hills bordering Ochoco Creek total production through 1923 of about 20,000 ounces of lode gold
The lower part of Scissors Creek, above its junction with Ochoco Creek, there were many small placer operations
Ophir – Mayflower Mine which was the main lode gold producer in this county.(west bank of Ochoco Creek)
Deschutes County Gold
All the counties that surround Deschutes County contain gold. Because of the geologic features it usually make this county a strike out instead of a gold strike. With that said, there are a few gold claims in the county.
Buckhorn Canyon between Sisters, Oregon and Terrebonne, Oregon at approximately Lat. 44.33233 Lon -121.33835
Harney County Gold
In the extreme south part of Harney County, in the southern part of the Steens and Pueblo Mountains there were many small prospects for Oregon gold. In sections 8 and 17 of T40S R35E, you will find the Famham and Pueblo prospects.
Harney (Idol City – Trout Creek) District produced around 10,000 ounces of placer gold.
Trout Creek branch of the Silvies River (Section 4 T21S R32E is the Harney (Idol City – Trout Creek) District)
Jefferson County Gold
Ashwood district (26 miles east of Madras)
Horse Heaven mercury mining (gold)
Oregon King Mine (Northeast of Ashwood by 3 miles) produced around 3,000 ounces of gold as a by-product of copper, lead and silver ores
Axhandle Butte, there were numerous prospects.
Lake County Gold
New Pine Creek (15 miles south of Lakeview on US 395)Near Plush in T35S R23E there were many small, shallow prospect pits with some gold being found.
Lane County Gold
There is gold twelve or so miles north of Oakridge, Oregon. about 50,000 ounces have been reported
Fall Creek District had very low historical production numbers ( located in sections 13, 18 and 19)
Christy Creek, besides Fall Creek
Ironside Mine and the Golden Eagle Mine
The Blue River Mining District found in Lane and Linn Counties consists of a ridge of the Calapooya, Blue and McKenzie Rivers and is located about 45 miles east of Eugene. The ridge stands at about 4,500 ft and the north side has been heavily glaciated. On the north Calapooya side the gravel roads may be blocked by snow until June or July on most years, that lead up to the Lucky Boy Mine.
Lucky Boy Group of mines The Lucky Boy Mine was the largest gold mine and was discovered in 1887, and produced gold between 1898 and 1915 produced about 10,000 ounces, all from lode deposits
Great Northern, the second largest producer (approx. 1,200 ounces)
Cinderella Mine, Evening Mine, Great Eastern Mine, Higgins Mine, North Star Mine, Poorman Mine, Red Buck Mine, Sochwich Mine, and Treadwell Mine
Cinderella Mine, was mined during the 1960’s in which 5 tons of ore averaged 1.84 ounces of gold per ton and 1.18 ounces of silver per ton.
Rowena Mine (Callaghan and Buddington, 1938)
consists of a ridge of the Calapooya, Blue and McKenzie Rivers and is located about 45 miles east of Eugene. The ridge stands at about 4,500 ft and the north side has been heavily glaciated. On the north Calapooya side the gravel roads may be blocked by snow until June or July on most years, that lead up to the Lucky Boy Mine.
Bohemia Mining District Lane County, 35 miles east of Cottage Grove. 40,000 ounces came from the Bohemia District about 35 miles southeast of Cottage Grove. gold was first discovered on Sharps Creek in 1858. ranks #1 for production for all Cascade Mining Districts as far as gold production is concerned. located on a saddle (a low dip on a ridge between Mount Bohemia and Mount Fairview, which are the high points). Cottage Grove was the key supply point for all the mining equipment, food and supplies to the area. the richest district in the West Cascade Mountains.
Mystery Mine located the first lode deposit
Musick Mine (Calapooya Mining and Tunnel Company who also owned Champion Mine (Evening Star Mine) and Helena Mines.)
Annie Mine located near the summit of Grouse Mountain produced roughly about $26,000 in gold at 1890 prices in two years
Helena Mine four claims were filed and he had discovered the richest per ton of ore at that time, valued at $30,000 per ton of ore.
BLUE RIVER Well east of Springfield on U.S. 126, this district overlaps into Linn County. The total production between 1887-1959 was 10,200 ounces of lode gold. The Lucky Boy Mine is 14 patented claims lapping into Linn County
COTTAGE GROVE Southeast of Cottage Grove 35 miles on a divide between the Willamette and Umpqua Rivers is the Bohemia mining district. This was the largest and most productive gold district in the West Cascade Mountians. Along Sharps Creek, Martin Creek, and Steamboat Creek, placer gold is located in the gravel bars and benches. There are many lode mines in the area. The Champion (Evening Star) Mine had an 18,000 foot underground tunnel with a by product of gold from copper zinc ores. The Music Mine (14 claims) along Sharps Creek had a rich history and produced about $300,000 in gold from 1891-1949. The Crystal (Lizzie Bullock) Mine had a by product of gold from copper ore. The Helena Mine produced $250,000 in gold from 1896-1950. The Mayflower mine on Horseheaven Creek also has a good history. Other mines in the area are the Star, Captian, President, Grizzly, Leroy, Shotgun, Carlisle, all of which produced lode gold.
BRICE CREEK reached by travelling from Cottage Grove exit 174 on 1-5 and turning east past Dorena lake for 18 miles. Follow the Row River on the Brice Creek Road past Culp Creek to Disston, turn right onto County Road #2470 and Forest Service Road #22 which leads to Champion Creek.
Buzzard Mining District, North Santiam District, the Barron District, and the Salmon Creek District. districts who barely made it onto the list
Linn County Gold
Quartzville Creek and its tributaries there is abundant placer colors and flakes
Quartzville is an old ghost town located in Linn County, near Sweet Home. Gold was first found here on September 5th, 1863.
Albany Mine just above the old town site is the would be source of the gold found in the area, however, gold is found in tributaries on both sides of Quartzville Creek
North Fork of the Santiam river fine placer gold
Malheur County Gold
Between 1904 and 1959 Malheur County produced a total of 13,522 ounces of lode gold and 13,860 ounces of placer gold. The Mormon Basin District, which straddles the Baker-Malheur County lines is the mineralized area.
Marion County Gold
A gold belt overlaps from Linn County into Marion County and slightly into Clackamas County. Primary placer gold deposits can be located about 22 miles Southeast of Salem on the Little North Fork of the Santiam River. Gold found from the Capital Mine, Crown Mine, Black Eagle Mine, and the Silver King Group of Mines produced roughly around 1,000 ounces.
Northeast Oregon’s Lost Mining Districts
Baker County Gold
CornucopiaNot far from the Idaho border, and 15 miles north of Halfway, Oregon is the old ghost/mining town of Cornucopia. To reach Cornucopia, just travel on the Cornucopia Highway from Halfway, located in Baker County. Cornucopia is located at an elevation of 4700 feet in the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest. Cornucopia is actually two towns created by two different mining operations. More than sixteen mines riddle the area and produced 300,000 ounces of gold. Old tailing piles from placer operations are piled along the creek banks. There is old rusting machinery and plenty of still-standing buildings. Over 30 miles of tunnels are scattered over the adjoining mountains in the Cornucopia area and over 6,000 feet of shafts (some of the longest shafts in the United States). The larger mines are known as the Union-Companion Mine, the Last Chance Mine, Queen of the West Mine, and the Red Jacket Mine. In 1922, the Cornucopia mines received electricity and a twenty-stamp mill was put into operation. It is said that the 20 stamp mill could crush 60 tons of ore per day. it is estimated that over $20,000,000 in gold was taken at gold prices at a mere $20 an ounce. It is estimated that 80% of the gold ore body still remains.
Greenhorn Mountains are found in the middle of the Umatilla National Forest. The area extends both Grant and Baker Counties. Gold was first discovered in 1864 on Olive Creek, where gold was found in decomposed quartz. The elevation in this area is high and many miners faced snow and hard long winters. In it’s heyday around 1,500 miners lived in the area and worked the many streams and creeks for placer deposits. Once these deposits were worked down, lode deposits were sought out and lode mining began. The lode gold in this area was primarily found in quartz veins.
Morning Glory Mine, Phoenix Mine, Golden Gate Mine, Humbolt Mine, Gold Coin Mine, Don Juan Mine, Royal White Mine, Golden Eagle Mine, Black Hawk Mine, Rabbit Mine, Worley Mine, I.X.L. Mine and Red Bird Mine. These oregon gold locations are all found around the town of Robinsonville and the Greenhorn area. The Worley Mine was reported has one of the richest mines with it’s gold ore being estimated at $1,100 a ton.
The ghost town of Greenhorn City, or Greenhorn is located in both Grant and Baker County has it straddles the county lines. Although not easy to get to in the winter it is a good place to get out your metal detector. Miners first came to Old Greenhorn in 1864 or 1865 for the prospect of gold. Ten years later the town was relocated as just a mining camp. The town was incorporated in 1903. At that time Greenhorn was the highest town in the State of Oregon, with it’s county seat being in Baker County. The location on the map above is the newer location since it lasted much longer and is still referred to; just Greenhorn. Robinsonville is located one mile to the east of Greenhorn. Mining laws prohibited Chinese from gold mining anywhere in the area. The area is mainly known for it’s underground mining, and like most mining towns, Greenhorn went extinct during World War II, but ironically still has a mayor.
Grant County Gold
In northeastern Oregon in the southwest of the Blue Mountains is the Grant County gold belt. This area was prospected after the big strikes in Baker County. There were some rich discoveries along Canyon Creek, Granite, Greenhorn, North Fork, Quartzburg and Susanville. There was a million ounces of gold or more recovered from Grant County.
Susanville District Northwest of Bates by 18 miles, down the middle fork of the John Day River, is the Susanville District. This district produced over 50,000 ounces of Oregon gold.
Elk Creek north of the middle fork of the John Day River, there was some extensive placer operations which were the main source of gold in the district
Badger Mine south side of Elk Creek, about 2 miles above its junction with the middle fork, in township 20S range 33E and section 7 on the S1/2
Chattanooga in Sections 5 and 6. The Daisy Mine in Section 5, the Golden Gate (Poorman) in Sections 7 and 8 east of Badger Mine and north of Elk Creek.
Canyon City District produced over 900,000 ounces of gold to date. Along the John Day River and all its tributaries contain rich placer deposits. There was numerous area lode mines. Gold was first discovered on June 7, 1862 on a stream near the John Day River. An estimate of twenty six million dollars worth of oregon gold was taken from the area. Whiskey Gulch and Canyon Creek was estimated to be one of the most concentrated places of gold in one place within the whole State of Oregon. At it’s peak, the area produced five million dollars worth of gold per year. Humbolt drive, the area between the present day town’s of John Day and Canyon City was once priced at five hundred dollars a square yard. It is said that a single pan could hold as much as seven ounces of gold.
Golden West mine is located in T14S R31E Section 12
Great Northern Mine is located in T14S R32E Section 7
Great Northern Mine was a rich pocket gold mine that produced free gold
Haight Mine, near the Great Northern Mine, was also a good producer
Miller Mountain Mine is located on the northeast slope of Miller Mountain and it was also a very rich producer
Prairie Diggings, this mine consisted of shallow surface cuts into a mineralized belt.
Granite Along Granite Creek and its tributaries Bull Run Creek and Clear Creek was some very rich placer ground. the John Day River is also rich in this area. Desolation Creek was also a very good producer as well. Every creek and gultch in this area should be checked for placer gold.
Prairie City Dixie Creek produced over 20,000 ounces of placer gold and all of the creeks around Prairie City contain placer gold to some extent.
Union County Gold
gold was discovered in the Auburn area, what is now known as Baker County. From Starky, go to the Southwest to the North end of the Elkhorn Range. Near the North boundary of Bald Mountain and near the head of the Grande Ronde River, especially in Tanners gulch, is where the Camp Carson Placer mine is located. It was extensively hydraulicked. According to a mining report from 1903, there was a lot of platinum found, in addition to gold, in the area of Camp Carson, especially in Carson Channel.
Union County Gold
In the Southwestern part of Wheeler County, gold, silver and galena can be found in Rock Creek and Birch Creek, which run into the John Day River. There is also gold to be found in the Spanish Gulch area. Wheeler County is also home to the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument and Shelton State Park.
Southern Oregon’s Lost Mining Districts
Sailors’ Diggins, which today is a ghost town known as Waldo. About five miles north of the border with California near the present-day town of Cave Junction, Sailors’ Diggins was essentially an overgrown mining camp, but it was booming; at a time when the entire state of Oregon had fewer than 10,000 occupants, Sailors’ Diggins was home to several thousand. The mountains nearby were especially rich, and on that particular day, almost every able-bodied man was out working them.
Sucker Creek which is due east of Althouse.
Brimstone Gulch at the Stovepipe mine near the site of Leland in 1934
Slug Bar, near Browntown, also on Althouse Creek.
Sucker Creek which is due east of Althouse.
Bunker Hill Mine on Silver Creek
SteamBoat Pocket in the Upper Applegate drainage
Coyote Creek, Golden Oregon Near the town of Wolf Creek (a town so-named for the creek that runs through it, also known for gold) is a small ghost town known as Golden, Oregon. It is easy to find and not far from I-5 in northern Josephine County. gold was very fine
Browntown and Hogtown
Coos County Gold
Chickamin Mine – Private property – Beach Placer Claim – located at or near 43°16′60″N , 124°18′17″W
Eagle Mine – Beach Placer Claim – located at or near 43°11′43″N , 124°21′43″W
Fletcher Myers Property – Private Property – U. S. Mining Company- Beach Placer Claim – located at or near 43°13′37″N , 124°22′13″W
Geiger Creek Mines – Beach Placer Claim – near 43°5′55″N , 124°22′37″W
Iowa Mine – Beach Placer Claim – near 43°6′43″N , 124°22′9″W
Lane Extension Mine – Beach Placer Claim – near 43°11′20″N , 124°21′50″W
Pioneer Mine – Beach Placer Claim – near 43°11′42″N , 124°21′47″W
Rose Mine – Beach Placer Claim – near 43°13′14″N , 124°21′47″W
Sengstacken Occurrence – Beach Placer Claim – near 43°17′21″N , 124°17′59″W
Hard Rock Gold Mines in the Coos County Area
Independence Mine – Sixes River District – Host Rock= Serpentinite – near 42°42′12″N , 124°5′29″W
Johnson Creek Placers – Sixes River District – Host Rock= gravel – near 42°45′41″N , 124°6′30″W
Salmon Mountain Mine – Sixes River District – near 42°46′40″N , 124°8′50″W
Illinois River & Josephine Creek Located in the western side of Josephine County, between latitude 42′13′ and 42′29′ N, longitude 123′38′ and 124′05′ W, the Illinois district had a total production in 1852-1953, between 5,000 and 10,000 ounces of Oregon placer gold along the Illinois River downstream from the mouth of Josephine Creek, and were very productive.
Josephine Creek The first discovery of was made in 1850 and was made at the mouth of Josephine Creek and not long later Josephine Creek and it’s tributaries. Canyon Creek, Days Creek, and Fiddler Gulches, were places where gold mining was quite productive. The bedrock is decomposed serpentine, and aside from gold and platinum group metals in the waterway, gold is also found in two partially cemented gravel benches. The highest of which is 150 above the current stream level. These gravels were worked by hydraulic methods as well as, by drifting . Up to 20,000 ounces of Oregon gold was recovered. Between 1886 and 1911, considerable gold was recovered using hydraulic methods from a broad gravel bench on both sides of the Illinois River below it’s junction with Josephine Creek.
Much of the gold and platinum group metals found in the Illinois River and it’s tributaries came from mineralized zones in the district where there were small lode gold mines. Near the headwaters of the Illinois River where you would find Waldo, the famed “”Sailors’ Diggings” can be found. The Sailors dug a 41 mile ditch to bring water for the huge hydraulic and sluicing operation that soon followed. The placer mining continued into 1942, with intermittent activity into the present. This area is noted for large nuggets.
On Jack Creek and nearby Horse Creek in the Josephine Creek area, placers were worked extensively before 1910. No official records were found by the author on the total production of these two creeks.
Curry County Gold
North and South of the mouths of the Chetco River and the Rogue River, in blacksand deposits you will find placer gold and platinum.
Gold Beach area ocean beach blacksand deposits was once extensively worked for its rich placer gold and platinum. Port Oxford area beach blacksand deposits also contain placer gold and platinum (fine to very fine). The Sixes River on the inside of Cape Blanco, in section 4 of township 32S and Range 15W, you will find the Madden Mine which was a large lode gold producer.On the north side of Cape Blanco, the beach deposits of blacksand on both sides of the Sixes River contain placer gold and platinum.
Chetco River Northeast of Brookings to headwaters of the Chetco River, located at township 38S and range 10W, center in section 26 you will find the Frazier Mine which was a rich producer of lode gold associated with pyrite. The Golden Eagle Mine was a hydraulic placer gold operation.. Near the head of Slide Creek the Golden Dream Mine was a large lode gold operation. In the center of section 23, the Peck Mine was a good producer of lode gold. Near the edge of section 35, the Young Mine had rich pockets of free gold. In section 10, the Hoover Gultch Mine, worked intermittently since 1900 for its lode gold.
The old mines and prospects along the lower Illinois River also had rich gold deposits with a by-product of copper.
Gold is found throughout Lobster Creek, located 10 miles east of Gold Beach, up to Rogue River. It is actively being worked at a place called “Old Diggings”. There are nice nuggets and flour gold dredged up every year. Most areas are claimed, so permission is required to work these areas.
The Rouge River gravel bars, benches, terraces from Marial, in the northeast corner of the county to its mouth at Wedderburn has abundant placer gold deposits. Around the Agness area on the Rogue River gravel bars, benches and terraces had rich placer gold deposits. Near Marial, to the southwest by 1 mile, in section 17 and 20 of township 33S and range 10W, you will find the Mule Moutain Group of mines which consisted of 11 lode mines, 1 placer mine and mill site. If you go to the northeast 2 miles in the northwest 1/4 section 3 and the northeast of section 4, you will find the Mammoth Mine which was a rich lode gold producer. The Marigold Mine was also a rich lode gold in quartz mine. Near Saddle Peaks (reached by rough trail), is the Paradise Mine which produced free gold.
Along the South Fork of the Sixes River and heads of Salmon and Johnson Creeks there are numerous extensive placers that have been worked. If you go east on a dirt road to the head of Rusty Creek you will find the Big Ben Mine which was a rich lode producer, with lead and silver. Also in the area is the Combination Mine, which was a rich lode gold producer as well. There is also a BLM mineral withdrawal area setup at the old ghost town of Sixes. The area is set up for recreational mining using pans, sluices, and dredges up to 4″ hose diameter.
Douglas County County Gold
Galice Creek (located in Josephine County) and its tributaries were important placer gold producers, especially in regard to the “Old Channel Mine” gravels which form a terrace to the west of the creek and 600 feet above it. Placer gold was discovered on Galice Creek in 1854, and significant amounts of gold were produced. The Old Channel hydraulic pit on the high terrace was started in 1860 and ultimately became almost 2,000 feet wide and 100 feet deep, the largest such pit in the State of Oregon. It is reported that over 50,000 ounces of gold were produced from the pit. The gravels averaged about .007 ounce of gold per cubic yard and a lot of good ground remains to be mined.
The Galice district, including Mount Reuben, had a total production of around 268,000 gold ounces. The local placer operations include the Ankeny Mine, Courtney Mine, Carnegie Mine, California-Oregon Mine, and Last Chance Mines.
The hillside just West of the Galice Range (approximately 1/4 to 1/2 miles wide, extending 4 miles to the Southwest), patches of gravel benches about 500 feet above present day streams as dissected by tributaries of Galice Creek there is placer gold. The “High Bench Gravels” along both sides of the Rogue River are gold bearing, but not much worked at this time
Dean and Dean placer Mine
Rocky Gulch placer Mine
Hellgate placers, were very productive
Benton Mine (21 miles Southwest of Glendale) section 22, 23, and 27 of Township 33S and Range 8W It was found in 1893 and is the largest underground mine in Oregon. It was closed in 1942.
The Almeda Mine, Gold Bug Mine, Oriole Mine, Black Bear Mine, and Robertson (Bunker Hill) Mines, were important producers of lode gold in the area.
Douglas County has produced some nice gold in the past. The Myrtle Creek and Cow Creek areas are great producers.
Last Chance Creek
At the headwaters of Last Chance Creek, in township 32S range 4W section 34, is the location of the Puzzler Mine, which was a rich lode mine.
On Quines Creek, in the W 1/2 of the NW 1/4 of section 1 township 33S range 5W, is the location of Quartzmill Mine. This was also a productive mine.
In the Glendale area along Cow Creek there was numerous old hydraulic placers. The gravel bars, bench and terrace gravels all contain placer gold. There were many area mines that were rather productive. The BLM has a section that is withdrawn from mineral entry that is open to recreational gold panners only.
If you go east and northeast of Myrtle Creek, in the drainage basins of North and South Myrtle Creeks you will find some extensive placer ground. On Lee Creek and Buck Fork there was over 50,000 ounces of placer gold recovered. On Letitia Creek, a tributary of South Myrtle Creek, in the NW 1/4 section 20 township 29S range 3W is the Chieftrain and Continental Mines which recovered over 100,000 ounces of Oregon gold.
South Umpqua River
This river is great for fine particles of gold. Especially in the upper part of the river. Dredging usually produces match head sized nuggets, but usually you will find fine particles. Gold is on the bedrock in the sand bars, especially in spots that have rust color around them.
Jackson County County Gold
Jacksonville district, including both forks of Jackson Creek and its tributaries, was organized in 1851. The mines hitherto worked have been placers, with some coarse gold.
Applegate Creek, ten miles in a southerly direction from Jacksonville, is a considerable stream, on which a saw-mill has been erected. It is a tributary of Rogue River. The district of this name was organized in 1853. The mining operations on Applegate Creek have been quite extensive. The gold is found mainly on the “bars” of the creek, which for a distance of four miles were very rich. They are now principally worked by Chinese. Water is obtained from a large ditch brought from the creek four miles above the bars, and now owned by Kasper Kubli.
Sterlingville district, about eight miles due south from Jacksonville, was organized in 1851. This has been, and is still, a thriving mining camp. The gold in the placers is coarse. The supply of water, however, is limited, as there is no ditch in the district which taps any considerable stream.
Bunkum district, on the other hand, a southern extension of Sterlingville district, has an abundant supply of water during most of the year, brought in three ditches from the North Fork of Applegate Creek.
Foots Creek district was organized in 1853. The stream from which it takes its name is a tributary of Rogue River, situated about fifteen miles northwest from Jacksonville. The mines are coarse gold diggings.
Evans’s Creek and Pleasant Creek districts are contiguous to each other, about ten miles north of Foot’s Creek. The coarse gold diggings of these districts are worked principally by the hydraulic process, for which the necessary supply of water is furnished by the streams named in abundance during the rainy season. Both these districts were organized in 1856.
Forty-nine diggings, eight miles southeast from Jacksonville ; organized in 1858. The gold is inferior in quality, and worth only about $12 per ounce. Water is supplied by a ditch from Anderson and Wagner Creeks.
The first discovery of gold in Jackson County is said to have been made in the autumn of 1852, by James Cluggage, on Rich Gulch, a tributary of Jackson Creek
One of these instances is presented by the celebrated Gold Hill vein, situated ten miles northwest of Jacksonville, and discovered in January 1859. The ore is white, almost transparent quartz, and, in the pocket first exposed, was highly charged with free gold.
Another inaccuracy is the mention of the Jewett Mill, which though the author was correct about its description, it was actually located on Mt. Baldy here in Josephine County – about five miles west of the Jackson County line. As well, though it may not have been profitable in 1870, the Jewitt Mine and its mill later became a major lode mine in this county. There are still active gold mines on Mt. Baldy today, but the activity is restricted to small operations.
The Applegate River (often reffered to as a “creek” in old literature) is still a major gold bearing waterway, along with the following gold bearing tributaries (all located on the Jackson County side) and listed in order, from east to west:
Elliot Creek, Carberry Creek, Manzanita Creek, Grouse Creek, Squaw Creek, French Gulch, Kanaka Gulch, Kinney Creek, Mule Creek, Palmer Creek, Beaver Creek, Star Gulch, Flume Gulch, China Gulch and Boaz Gulch, all located south of the Little Applegate River, which enters the Applegate River in Section 10 of 39 South, 3 West. This section of the Applegate contains the majority of modern day gold mining activity.
The Little Applegate River and its tributaries, historically, was a major gold bearing area encompassing both the Sterlingville and Buncom Districts. As most of this area is today private, little to no mining takes place in this area now. It should also be noted that the gold in this particular area contains quite a lot of of silver and often has a whiteish color (hence the local name Sterling). As a consequence, gold from this vicinity fetches a much lower price than the area listed above.
Downstream of the Little Applegate, the following tributaries are also gold bearing:
Rock Gulch, Spencer Gulch, Bishop Creek, China Gulch, Matney Gulch, Long Gulch, Chapman Creek, Keeler Creek, Humbug Creek, Thompson Creek, Ferris Gulch and part of Slagle Creek.
Humbug Mining District, which was established March 24th, 1860 (see my previous entry). Also neglected was the Kane Creek Mining District (established November, 1860), the JackAss Creek Diggings District (March 1860, which mostly duplicated the Humbug District laws), the Lower JackAss Creek District (1863), the notorious Wines Camp District (1867), Boardman’s Diggings District (1867) and the Union Town Disrict (1870).
Applegate River rises in Jackson County and empties into the Rogue River west of Grants Pass. Most of the placer gold deposits are found in tributaries such as Board Shanty, Caris, Miller, Grays, Oscar, Slate and Williams Creeks. Williams Creek, and it’s tributaries, Bamboo and Whiskey Gulches, were extensively worked. The Layton Hydraulic pit south of Provolt was a important producer. Oscar Creek was worked with a power shovel and was noted for it’s large Oregon nuggets that it produced. Cans, Miller, Rocky and Slagle Creeks converge to form a rich placer area at Missouri Flat near the Jackson County line. The total placer gold production along the Applegate River was well over 20,000 ounces. The Applegate River stretches 51 miles long rising from California and stretches into both Josephine and Jackson Counties in Oregon.
This history of the gold standard explains why there’s a growing group of advocates calling…
The U.S. dollar has been the world’s de facto reserve currency for almost 90 years.…
Switzerland Has Never Exported This Much Gold Four of the largest gold refineries on earth…
Register for this siteLost your password?
Please enter your username or email address.You will receive a link to create a new password via email.